Wilkin County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Wilkin County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on March 18, 1858 (Organized in 1872) from Cass County and Pembina County. The county was named in honor of Colonel Alexander Wilkin (1820-1864), U.S. marshal for Minnesota and secretary of the Minnesota Territory, 1851-53; killed during the Civil War at the battle of Tupelo, Mississippi, 1864. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Wilkin County is bordered by Clay County (north), Otter Tail County (east), Grant County (southeast), Traverse County (south), Richland County, North Dakota (southwest), Cass County, North Dakota (northwest).
Wilkin County Cities and Towns include Breckenridge, Campbell, Doran, Foxhome, Kent, Nashua, Rothsay, Tenney, Wolverton.
Wilkin County Townships include Akron, Andrea, Atherton, Bradford, Brandrup, Breckenridge, Campbell, Champion, Connelly, Deerhorn, Foxhome, Manston, McCauleyville, Meadows, Mitchell, Nilsen, Nordick, Prairie View, Roberts, Sunnyside, Tanberg, Wolverton Townships.
A Map of Wilkin County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wilkin County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Wilkin County, MN Courthouse
The Wilkin County Courthouse is located in Breckenridge, Minnesota. At some time Wilkin County was attached to Otter Tail County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Courthouse burned in 1883 destroying most early records. The courthouse burned again in 1924 with no record loss. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wilkin county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Wilkin County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1880, Marriage Records from 1884 and Land Records from 1871. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Wilkin County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1888 and Court Records from 1884. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Wilkin County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Wilkin County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wilkin County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Wilkin County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Wilkin County Historical Society
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Wilkin County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Wilkin County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum