Watonwan County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Watonwan County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on November 6, 1860 (Organized in 1871) from Brown County. The county was named for the Watonwan River. Translation of the Dakota word watanwan meaning "where fish bait bounds". Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Watonwan County Cities and Towns include Butterfield, Darfur, La Salle, Lewisville, Madelia, Odin, Ormsby, St. James.
Watonwan County Townships include Adrian, Antrim, Butterfield, Fieldon, Long Lake, Madelia, Nelson, Odin, Riverdale, Rosendale, South Branch, St. James Townships.
A Map of Watonwan County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Watonwan County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Watonwan County, MN Courthouse
The Watonwan County Courthouse is located in St. James, Minnesota. At some time Watonwan County was attached to Blue Earth County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Courthouse burned before 1895. Some records were destroyed. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Watonwan county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Watonwan County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1867 and Land Records from 1859. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Watonwan County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1890 and Court Records from 1885. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Watonwan County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Watonwan County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Watonwan County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Watonwan County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Watonwan County Historical Society
- Southern Minnesota Historical Center
- Watonwan County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Watonwan County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum