Roseau County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Roseau County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 28, 1894 (Organized in 1897) from Beltrami County and Kittson County. The county was named for Roseau Lake and River. Roseau is the French translation of the Ojibway name ga-shash-agunushkokawi-sibi, meaning "place of the rushes". Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Roseau County Cities and Towns include Badger, Greenbush, Roosevelt, Roseau, Strathcona, Warroad.
Roseau County Townships include Barnett, Barto, Beaver, Cedarbend, Deer, Dewey, Dieter, Enstrom, Falun, Golden Valley, Grimstad, Hereim, Huss, Jadis, Lake, Laona, Lind, Malung, Mickinock, Moose, Moranville, Nereson, Palmville, Pohlitz, Polonia, Poplar Grove, Reine, Ross, Skagen, Soler, Spruce, Stafford, Stokes Townships.
A Map of Roseau County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Roseau County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Roseau County, MN Courthouse
Old Roseau County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Roseau county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Roseau County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1895, Marriage Records from 1895 and Land Records from 1892. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Roseau County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1894 and Court Records from 1895. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Roseau County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Roseau County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Roseau County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Roseau County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Roseau County Historical Society and Museum
- Warroad Historical Society, Warroad Heritage Center, PO Box 688, 202 Main Ave NE, Warroad MN 56763-0688, Phone: 218 386-2500
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Roseau County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Roseau County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum