Red Lake County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
|MN Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Red Lake County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on December 24, 1896 (Organized in 1897) from Polk County. The county was named for Red Lake River. Red Lake is the translation of the Ojibway name for this geographic feature, so named because of the color of the lake at sunset. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Red Lake County Cities and Towns include Brooks, Oklee, Plummer, Red Lake Falls.
Red Lake County Townships include Browns Creek, Emardville, Equality, Garnes, Gervais, Lake Pleasant, Lambert, Louisville, Poplar River, Red Lake Falls, River, Terrebonne, Wylie Townships.
A Map of Red Lake County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Red Lake County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Red Lake County, MN Courthouse
The Red Lake County Courthouse is located in Red Lake Falls, Minnesota. In April 1909, the original wooden courthouse burned to the ground. No records were destroyed Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Red Lake county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Red Lake County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1897, Marriage Records from 1897 and Land Records from 1873. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Red Lake County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1897 and Court Records from 1897. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Red Lake County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Red Lake County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Red Lake County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.