Ramsey County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Ramsey County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on October 27, 1849 from St. Croix County. The county was named in honor of Alexander Ramsey (1815-1903), first governor of Minnesota Territory, 1849-53; second mayor of St. Paul, 1855; second governor of Minnesota, 1860-63; U.S. Senator, 1863-75; U.S. Secretary of War, 1879-81. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Ramsey County Cities and Towns include Arden Hills, Blaine, Falcon Heights, Gem Lake, Lauderdale, Little Canada, Maplewood, Mounds View, New Brighton, North Oaks, North St. Paul, Roseville, Shoreview, St. Anthony, St. Paul, Spring Lake Park, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake.
Ramsey County Townships include White Bear Township.
A Map of Ramsey County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ramsey County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Ramsey County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ramsey county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Ramsey County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1849 and Land Records from 1844. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Ramsey County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1849 and Court Records from 1849. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Ramsey County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Ramsey County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ramsey County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Ramsey County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Ramsey County Historical Society
- Gibbs Museum of Pioneer and Dakotah Life
- Little Canada Historical Society
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minnesota Territorial Pioneers
- Vadnais Heights Historical Commission, 800 East County Road E, Vadnais Heights MN 55127-7117, Phone: 651 204-6000
- Ramsey County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Ramsey County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum