Pipestone County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pipestone County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on May 23, 1857 (Organized in 1879) from Brown County. The county was named for sacred Dakota quarry of red pipestone found in the county, used in the making of ceremonial pipes. (County was originally called Rock County and Rock County used to be called Pipestone County. The Counties swapped names in 1862.) Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Pipestone County is bordered by Lincoln County (north), Lyon County (northeast), Murray County (east), Rock County (south), Minnehaha County, South Dakota (southwest), Moody County, South Dakota (west), Brookings County, South Dakota (northwest).
Pipestone County Cities and Towns include Airlie, Cresson, Cazenovia, Edgerton, Hatfield, Holland, Ihlen, Jasper, Pipestone, Ruthton, Trosky, Woodstock.
Pipestone County Townships include Aetna, Altona, Burke, Eden, Elmer, Fountain Prairie, Grange, Gray, Osborne, Rock, Sweet, Troy Townships.
A Map of Pipestone County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pipestone County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Pipestone County, MN Courthouse
The Pipestone County Courthouse is located in Pipestone, Minnesota. At some time Pipestone County was attached to Big Sioux County, Redwood County, Watonwan County, Cottonwood County and Rock County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pipestone county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Pipestone County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1877, Marriage Records from 1879 and Land Records from 1879. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Pipestone County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1880 and Court Records from 1879. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Pipestone County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Pipestone County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pipestone County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Pipestone County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Pipestone County Historical Society
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Pipestone County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Pipestone County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum