Kittson County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pembina County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on October 27, 1849 from Unorganized Territory. It was organized in 1852 then deorganized in 1853. On February 25, 1879 the county name was changed to Kittson County (Organized in 1897). Part of the Pembina District until organization, the county also included the western portion of what is now Roseau County until 1894. The county was named in honor of Norman Kittson (1814-1888), an early fur trader & partner of the American Fur Company. He increased the fur trading traffic significantly by increasing the use of oxcarts. He was also responsible for the pioneering of the steamboat in the Red River and was active with James J. Hill in the development of the railroad. His contributions played an important role in the settlement of the county. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Kittson County Cities and Towns include Donaldson, Hallock, Halma, Humboldt, Karlstad, Kennedy, Lake Bronson, Lancaster, St. Vincent.
Kittson County Townships include Arveson, Cannon, Caribou, Clow, Davis, Deerwood, Granville, Hallock, Hampden, Hazelton, Hill, Jupiter, North Red River, Norway, Pelan, Percy, Poppleton, Richardville, St. Joseph, St. Vincent, Skane, South Red River, Spring Brook, Svea, Tegner, Teien, Thompson Townships.
A Map of Kittson County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Kittson County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Kittson County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kittson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. At some point Pembina County was attached to Morrison County, Crow Wing County, Douglas County, Becker County and Clay County for county and or judicial purposes. At some time Kittson County was attached to Polk County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there.
- Kittson County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1877 / 1881 - It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar's office of the county where the birth or death took place. You may go to a registrar's office in any county in Minnesota for births that took place during of after 1900 and for deaths that took place during or after 1997, Marriage Records from 1881 and Land Records from 1879. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Kittson County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1899 and Court Records from 1897. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Kittson County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Kittson County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kittson County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Kittson County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Kittson County Historical Society
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Kittson County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Kittson County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum