Jackson County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jackson County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on May 23, 1857 (Organized in 1866) from Brown County. The county was named in honor of Henry Jackson, the first merchant in St. Paul and a member of the first territorial legislature. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Jackson County is bordered by Cottonwood County (north), Watonwan County (northeast), Martin County (east), Emmet County, Iowa (southeast), Dickinson County, Iowa (south), Osceola County, Iowa (southwest), Nobles County (west).
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Alpha, Heron Lake, Jackson, Lakefield, Okabena, Wilder.
Jackson County Townships include Alba, Belmont, Christiania, Delafield, Des Moines, Enterprise, Ewington, Heron Lake, Hunter, Kimball, La Crosse, Middletown, Minneota, Petersburg, Rost, Round Lake, Sioux Valley, Weimer, West Heron Lake, Wisconsin Townships.
A Map of Jackson County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Jackson County, MN Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Jackson, Minnesota. At some time Jackson County was attached to Martin County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jackson County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1868 and Land Records from 1866. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Jackson County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1871. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Jackson County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Jackson County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Jackson County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Jackson County Historical Society
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Jackson County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Jackson County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum