Kent County, Michigan Genealogy Guide
|Other MI Resources|
| MI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MI Ancestor Records
MI Military Databases
MI Data Collections
MI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Kent County, Michigan (Map It) was created on March 2, 1831 from Michilimackinac County and unorganized territory . The county was named for New York jurist James Kent, who represented the Michigan Territory in its dispute with Ohio over the Toledo Strip. . Learn More About State of Michigan History
Kent County is bordered by Newaygo County (north), Montcalm County (northeast), Muskegon County (northwest), Ionia County (east), Ottawa County (west), Allegan County (southwest), Barry County (southeast).
Kent County Cities, Towns & Villages include Cedar Springs, East Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Lowell, Rockford, Walker, Wyoming, Caledonia, Casnovia, Kent City, Sand Lake, Sparta.
Kent County Townships include Ada, Algoma, Alpine, Bowne, Byron, Caledonia, Cannon, Cascade, Courtland, Gaines, Grand Rapids, Grattan, Lowell, Nelson, Oakfield, Plainfield, Solon, Sparta, Spencer, Tyrone, Vergennes.
A Map of Kent County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Kent County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Kent County, MI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kent county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Kent County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1845. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Kent County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Kent County Register of Deeds has Land from 1860.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Kent County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1898. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Kent County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1854. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Kent County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kent County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Kent County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society
- Algoma Township Historical Society
- Alpine Historical Office 2015 7 Mile Rd. NW Comstock Park MI 49321; (616) 785-6024
- Bowne Township Historical Society
- Byron Center Historical Society 2506 Prescott P.O. Box 20,Byron Center MI 49315
- Caledonia Historical Society
- Caledonia Township Historical Society 8573 84th St. Se Alto 49341
- Cascade Historical Society 2800 Orange Street SE Grand Rapids MI 49506
- Cedar Springs Historical Society
- Fallasburg Historical Society
- Gaines Township Historical Society
- Grand Rapids Historical Society
- Grand Rapids Historic Preservation 1120 Monroe Ave. NW Grand Rapids MI 49503
- Grandville Historical Association Contact address unknown.
- Lowell Area Historical Association 325 W. Main St. Lowell MI 49331
- Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society
- Polish Heritage Society
- Rockford Area Historical Society
- Wyoming Historical Commission
- Kent County Michigan Message Boards
- Kent County, Michigan Genealogy Forum