Iosco County, Michigan Genealogy Guide
|Other MI Resources|
| MI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MI Ancestor Records
MI Military Databases
MI Data Collections
MI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Iosco County, Michigan (Map It) was created on April 1, 1840 from unorganized territory. The county was named for the Pseudo-Native American name created by Henry Schoolcraft. Learn More About State of Michigan History
Iosco County Cities, Towns & Villages include East Tawas, Tawas City, Whittemore.
Iosco County Townships include Alabaster, Au Sable Charter, Baldwin, Burleigh, Grant, Oscoda Charter, Plainfield, Reno, Sherman, Tawas, Wilber.
A Map of Iosco County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Iosco County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Iosco County, MI Courthouse
The Iosco County Courthouse is located in Tawas City, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on February 16, 1857 may be located in Cheboygan County and Saginaw County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Iosco county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Iosco County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1858. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Iosco County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Iosco County Register of Deeds has Land from 1840.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Iosco County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1859. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Iosco County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1859. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Iosco County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Iosco County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Iosco County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Huron Shores Genealogical Society
- Iosco County Michigan Message Boards
- Iosco County, Michigan Genealogy Forum