Colonial payroll and muster records for the years of 1732 to 1772 have been partially indexed. That index, along with indexes and records from later wars, can be found at the Maryland State Archives. Revolutionary War service and pension records can be found at the National Archives—Mid-Atlantic Region, as can an index of service records for the Spanish-American War and the War of 1812, and Civil War Confederate and Union soldier name indexes. Volume 18 of Archives of Maryland contains a list of muster rolls from the Revolutionary War. An Inventory of Maryland State Papers, Volume I, The Era of the American Revolution, 1775–1789 contains quite a bit of manuscript material.
The Maryland War Records Commission created a list of those from Maryland who served in World War I. A 5-volume set called Maryland in World War II, Register of Service Personnel was compiled by the Maryland Historical Society’s War Records Division. The State of Maryland Military Department, Room B14, Fifth Regiment Armory, 219 29th Division St., Baltimore, MD 21201-2288 holds some military records as well.
- Maryland Military Records (Fold3.com)
- Maryland Military Records (ancestry.com) from Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources.
- Maryland Military Record Books (amazon.com)
Maryland in the Colonial War
Colonial War Website Links
- Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland Colonial War Books (amazon.com)
Revolutionary War Website Links
- Research in the Revolutionary War 1775-1783 (uswars.net)
- Maryland: Muster Rolls & Other Records of Service of Maryland Troops in the American Revolution (msa.md.gov)
- Organized military Maryland units in the Revolutionary War (uswars.net)
- Revolutionary War links from fold3.com with original data from the National Archives:
- Maryland Final Payment Vouchers Index for Military Pensions, 1818-1864 These slips serve as an index to final and last payments to over 65,000 veterans of the Revolutionary War and some later wars.
- Maryland Revolutionary War Pensions Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files.
- Maryland Revolutionary War Prize Cases – Captured Vessels Prize cases heard on appeal from Colonial and state courts by the Continental Congress and the Court of Appeals in Cases of Capture.
- Maryland Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 Muster rolls, payrolls, strength returns, and other miscellaneous personnel, pay, and supply records of American Army units, 1775-83.
- Maryland Revolutionary War Service Records Compiled service records of soldiers who served in the American Army during the Revolutionary War, 1775-1783.
- Revolutionary War links from http://search.ancestry.com:
- Maryland Revolutionary War Records
- Muster Rolls and Other Records of Service of Maryland Troops in the American Revolution, 1775-1783
- A narrative of events which occurred in Baltimore town during the Revolutionary War
- Maryland Revolutionary records : data obtained from 3,050 pension claims and bounty land applications, including 1,000 marriage
- Maryland Revolutionary Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Orderly Book of the Maryland Loyalists Regiment, June 18, 1778, to October 12, 1778
- Revolutionary Records of Maryland
- Loyalists in the American Revolution
- Loyalists and Their Times, Vol. 2
- Maryland Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (marylanddar.org)
- Maryland Society of Sons of the American Revolution (marylandsar.org)
- Maryland Revolutionary War Books (amazon.com)
Maryland in the War of 1812
War of 1812 Website Links
- Research in the War of 1812 1812-1815 (uswars.net)
- The British Invasion of Maryland, 1812-1815 (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland in the War of 1812 Historical Chronology (msa.md.gov)
- Maryland War of 1812 Books (amazon.com)
Maryland in the Civil War
Civil War Website Links
- Research in the Civil War 1861-1865
- Civil War links from fold3.com with original data from the National Archives:
- Compiled Service Records of Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Maryland
- Civil War and Later Veterans Pension Index from Maryland
- Maryland Civil War “Widows’ Pensions”
- Barred and Disallowed Maryland Claims – The Southern Claims Commission denied these claims by Maryland citizens seeking compensation for property loss. They were barred or disallowed for a number of reasons. Original data from the National Archives
- Maryland Civil War Maps – Maps, charts, and atlases depicting battles, troop positions and movements, engagements, and fortifications in Maryland during the Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Maryland Civil War Infantry Regiments and Units
- Maryland Civil War Cavalry Regiments and Units
- Maryland Civil War Artillery Regiments and Units
- Maryland: History and Roster of Maryland Volunteers War of 1861-5 Volume 1 (msa.md.gov)
- Maryland: History and Roster of Maryland Volunteers War of 1861-5 Volume 2 (msa.md.gov)
- Civil War links from ancestry.com:
- U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865
- U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865
- Maryland Soldiers in the Civil War, Vol. 1
- Maryland Soldiers in the Civil War, Vol. 2
- History and Roster of Mayland Volunteers, War of 1861-1865, Vols. 1-2
- Historical record of the First Regiment Maryland Infantry : with an appendix containing a register of the officers and enlisted
- Roster of Civil War Soldiers from Washington County, Maryland
- Civil War Burials in Baltimore’s Loudon Park Cemetery
- Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- Maryland Civil War Books (amazon.com)
Maryland Modern Wars
War Website Links
- Maryland Military Men, 1917-18 (search.ancestry.com)
- Colonial Soldiers of the South, 1732–1774 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1983) – includes muster and payrolls of colonial Maryland militia
- Colonial Maryland Soldiers and Sailors, 1634–1734 (Westminster, Md.: Willow Bend Books, 2001).
- Maryland Revolutionary Records: How to Find Them & Interpret Them (St. Michaels, Md.: the author, 1976)
- Maryland Revolutionary Records: Data Obtained from 3,050 Pension Claims and Bounty Land Applications (1938; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987)
- Maryland Militia in the Revolutionary War (Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1987)
- Maryland Loyalists in the American Revolution (Centerville, Md.: Tidewater, 1996)
- The Loyalists of Maryland During the American Revolution, thesis, University of Maryland (Ann Arbor: University Microfilms, 1968)
- The British Invasion of Maryland, 1812–1815 (1913; reprint, Hatboro, Pa.: Tradition Press, 1965; and Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1977)
- Maryland Militia, War of 1812, 7 vols. (Silver Spring: Family Line Publications, 1979–85)
- Western Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia Militia in Defense of Maryland, 1805 to 1815 (Baltimore: the author, 1983)
- History and Roster of Maryland Volunteers, War of 1861–5, 2 vols. (1898; reprint, Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1987)
- The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army 1861–1865, 2d ed. (1900; reprint with index, Port Washington, N.Y.: Kennikat Press, 1972)
- Marylanders in the Confederacy (Silver Spring: Family Lines Publications, 1986)