Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy Guide
|Other MD Resources|
| MD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MD Ancestor Records
MD Military Databases
MD Data Collections
MD Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Caroline County, Maryland (Map It) was created on June 15, 1773 from Dorchester County and Queen Anne's County. This county was named in honor of Lady Caroline Eden, daughter of Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore. Learn More About State of Maryland History.
Caroline County Cities and Towns include Denton (incorporated 1802), Federalsburg (incorporated 1823), Goldsboro (incorporated 1906), Greensboro (incorporated 1826), Henderson (incorporated 1949), Hillsboro (incorporated 1853), Marydel (incorporated 1929), Preston (incorporated 1892), Ridgely (incorporated 1896), Templeville (incorporated 1865).
A Map of Caroline County, Maryland contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. Also view Maryland Town / Municipal Maps.
Caroline County, Maryland Courthouse Records
Caroline County, MD Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Caroline county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Caroline County Circuit Court Clerk has Marriage Records from 1774 and Land Records from 1774. The County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Caroline County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1774. The County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Caroline County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives.
Caroline County, Maryland Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1772-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1776, 1776 and 1778 Indexes
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Caroline County, Maryland Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from August 1898 to present
- Marriage Records: from January, 1990 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Divorce Records: from January, 1992 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Locations: Maryland Office of Vital Records, Maryland State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records Division of Vital Records & Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., Reistertown Road Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21215, (410) 764-3038 or (800) 832-3277
Caroline County, Maryland Resources
- State of Maryland Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Maryland
- Caroline County, Historical Society
- Caroline County Genealogical Society, % Miss. Dora W. Mitchell, Preston, MD 21655
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society
- Caroline County, Maryland Message Boards
- Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy Forum