Hancock County, Maine Genealogy Guide
|Other ME Resources|
| ME Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
ME Ancestor Records
ME Military Databases
ME Data Collections
ME Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hancock County, Maine (Map It) was created on June 25, 1789 from part of Lincoln County (originally Hancock County, Massachusetts). This county was named in honor of John Hancock (1737–1793), the Founding Father and president of the convention that produced the United States Declaration of Independence. Learn More About State of Maine History
Hancock County Cities and Towns include Amherst, Aurora, Bar Harbor, Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Bucksport, Castine, Cranberry Isles, Dedham, Deer Isle, Eastbrook, Ellsworth, Franklin, Frenchboro, Gouldsboro, Great Pond, Hancock, Lamoine, Mariaville, Mount Desert, Orland, Osborn, Otis, Penobscot, Prospect Harbor, Sedgwick, Sorrento, Southwest Harbor, Stonington, Sullivan, Surry, Swan%27s Island, Tremont, Trenton, Verona Island, Waltham, Winter Harbor.
Hancock County, Maine Courthouse Records
Hancock County, ME Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hancock county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hancock County Registry of Deeds has Land Records:1790. The County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Hancock County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records:1790. The County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 - Support of Enforcement.
- Hancock County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives
Hancock County, Maine Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maine Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1800-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hancock County, Maine Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maine Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from 1923 to present. Records for 1892-1922 are available at the Maine State Archives
- Locations: Maine CDC office Vital Records, 244 Water Street, #11 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0011; PH: (207) 287-3181
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.