Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Guide
|Other LA Resources|
| LA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
LA Ancestor Records
LA Military Databases
LA Data Collections
LA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana (Map It) was created on March 23, 1808 from Ouachita Parish and Rapides Parish. The parish was named for Catahoula Lake, formerly within the parish's boundaries and named from a Taensa word meaning big, clear lake. Learn More About State of Louisiana History.
Catahoula Parish Cities and Towns include Harrisonburg, Jonesville, Sicily Island.
A Map of Catahoula Parish, Louisiana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Courthouse Records
Catahoula Parish, LA Courthouse
The Catahoula Parish Courthouse is located in Harrisonburg, Louisiana. There was a total records destruction in the early 1900's due to unkown causes . Learn More About State of Louisiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Catahoula parish. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Catahoula Parish Clerk of Court has Marriage Records from 1900s, Land Records from 1900s, Probate Records from 1900s and Court Records from 1900s. The Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Louisiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1791-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1699 Through 1732
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Louisiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1914 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1914 to present
- Death Records: Certified copies available from the Clerk of the Court
- Divorce Records: Certified copies are available from the Clerk of the Court
- Locations: Louisiana Office of Vital Statistics, Louisiana State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth or Death Certificate Applications.
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Resources
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Message Boards
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Forum