Nelson County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Nelson County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on November 29, 1784 from Jefferson County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Nelson, Jr. (1738–1789), signer of the Declaration of Independence . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Nelson County is bordered by Spencer County (north), Anderson County (northeast), Washington County (east), Marion County (southeast), LaRue County (south), Hardin County (west), Bullitt County (northwest).
Nelson County Cities and Towns include Bardstown, Bloomfield, Fairfield, New Haven, New Hope.
A Map of Nelson County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Nelson County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Nelson County, KY Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Nelson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Nelson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1785, Land Records from 1784 and Probate Records from 1785 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Nelson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1785. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Nelson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Nelson County Elected Officials
Nelson County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Nelson County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Nelson County, Kentucky Resources
- Nelson County Genealogical Roundtable
- Nelson County Public Library
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society
- Nelson County, Kentucky Message Boards
- Nelson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Nelson County, Kentucky Mailing lists
Nelson County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Nelson County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Nelson County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1785-1815 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Nelson Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Nelson County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia