McCreary County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
McCreary County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on March 12, 1912 from parts of Wayne County, Pulaski County and Whitley County. The county was named in honor of James McCreary, thirty-seventh Governor of Kentucky (1912–1916) . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
McCreary County Cities and Towns include Pine Knot, Stearns, Whitley City.
A Map of McCreary County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
McCreary County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
McCreary County, KY Courthouse
The McCreary County Courthouse is located in Whitley City, Kentucky. Courthouse fires destroyed some records in 1927 and in 1951. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McCreary county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- McCrearyd County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1912, Land Records from 1915 and Probate Records from 1912 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- McCreary County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1912. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- McCreary County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- McCreary County Elected Officials
McCreary County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
McCreary County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
McCreary County, Kentucky Resources
- McCreary County History & Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 400, Whitley City, KY. 42653-044
- McCreary County, Kentucky Message Boards
- McCreary County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- McCreary County, Kentucky Mailing lists