Laurel County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
|KY Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Laurel County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on December 21, 1825 from Whitley County, Clay County, Knox County and Rockcastle County. The county was named for the Mountain laurel trees that are prominent in the area. Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Laurel County is bordered by Jackson County (northeast), Clay County (east), Knox County (southeast), Whitley County (south), McCreary County (southwest), Pulaski County (west), Rockcastle County (northwest).
Laurel County Cities and Towns include East Bernstadt, London, North Corbin.
A Map of Laurel County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Laurel County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Laurel County, KY Courthouse
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Laurel county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Laureld County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1826, Land Records from 1826 and Probate Records from 1817 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Laurel County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1826. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Laurel County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Laurel County Elected Officials
Laurel County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Laurel County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.