Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jefferson County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on May 1, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties . The county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States (1801–1809) . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Jefferson County is bordered by Clark County, Indiana (north), Oldham County (northeast), Shelby County (east), Spencer County (southeast), Bullitt County (south), Hardin County (southwest), Harrison County, Indiana (west), Floyd County, Indiana (northwest).
Jefferson County Cities and Towns include Anchorage, Audubon Park, Bancroft, Barbourmeade, Beechwood Village, Bellemeade, Bellewood, Blue Ridge Manor, Briarwood, Broad Fields, Broeck Pointe, Brownsboro Farm, Brownsboro Village, Cambridge, Cherrywood Village, Coldstream, Creekside, Crossgate, Douglass Hills, Druid Hills, Fairmeade, Fincastle, Fisherville, Forest Hills, Glenview Hills, Glenview Manor, Glenview, Goose Creek, Graymoor-Devondale, Green Spring, Hickory Hill, Hills and Dales, Hollow Creek, Hollyvilla, Houston Acres, Hurstbourne Acres, Hurstbourne, Indian Hills, Jeffersontown, Keeneland, Kingsley, Langdon Place, Lincolnshire, Louisville, Lyndon, Lynnview, Manor Creek, Maryhill Estates, Meadow Vale, Meadowbrook Farm, Meadowview Estates, Middletown, Minor Lane Heights, Mockingbird Valley, Moorland, Murray Hill, Norbourne Estates, Northfield, Norwood, Old Brownsboro Place, Parkway Village, Plantation, Plymouth Village, Poplar Hills, Prospect, Richlawn, Riverwood, Rolling Fields, Rolling Hills, Seneca Gardens, Shively, South Park View, Spring Mill, Spring Valley, Springlee, St. Matthews, St. Regis Park, Strathmoor Manor, Strathmoor Village, Sycamore, Ten Broeck, Thornhill, Watterson Park, Wellington, West Buechel, Wildwood, Windy Hills, Woodland Hills, Woodlawn Park, Worthington Hills, Whipps Millgate .
A Map of Jefferson County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jefferson County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Jefferson County, KY Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jefferson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jefferson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1781, Land Records from 1783 and Probate Records from 1784 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1780. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Jefferson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Jefferson County Elected Officials
Jefferson County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jefferson County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Jefferson County, Kentucky Resources
- Jeffersontown & Southeast Jefferson County Historical Society, 2432 Merriwood Drive, Jeffersontown KY 40299
- Louisville Genealogical Society
- Louisville Civil War Roundtable
- The Filson Historical Society
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Louisville, 3304 Furman Blvd, Louisville KY 40220
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Message Boards
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Mailing lists
Jefferson County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Jefferson Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- THE LOUISVILLE AND JEFFERSON COUNTY, KENTUCKY FAMILY HISTORY FORUM
- Jefferson County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia