Fayette County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
|KY Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Fayette County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on June 30, 1780 as one of the three original counties formed by Virginia. The county was named in honor of Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette (1757–1834), French-born Revolutionary War general . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Fayette County Cities and Towns include Lexington, Athens, Clays Ferry, Little Texas, South Elkhorn, Spears.
A Map of Fayette County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fayette County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Fayette County, KY Courthouse
The Fayette County Courthouse is located in Lexington, Kentucky. Most records for before 31 Jan 1803 were destroyed by fire. A second fire on 14 May 1897 also destroyed some early records. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Fayette county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Fayetted County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1803, Land Records from 1787 and Probate Records from 1789 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Fayette County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1787. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Fayette County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Fayette County Elected Officials
Fayette County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Fayette County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Fayette County, Kentucky Resources
Fayette County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Fayette County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Fayette Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- THE LEXINGTON AND FAYETTE COUNTY, KENTUCKY FAMILY HISTORY FORUM
- Fayette County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia