Union County, Iowa Records
Union County, Iowa (Map It) was created on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1853) from Unorganized Territory and Pottawattamie County. Union County was named in honor of the union of the United States threatened by the American Civil War
Union County Cities and Towns include Afton, Arispe, Creston, Cromwell, Kent, Lorimor, Shannon City, Thayer.
A Union County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Union County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Union County, IA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Union county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Union County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1855 and has Land Records from 1854. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Union County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1854and has Court Records from 1854. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Union County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Union County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Union County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Union County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- Union County Genealogical Society
- Matilda J. Gibson Memorial Library
- Union County, Iowa Message Boards
Union County, Iowa External Links
- Iowa Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Union County, Iowa Books - Amazon
- Union Co., Iowa - FindaGrave
- Iowa Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Union County, Iowa Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900)
- Union Co. IAGenweb
- Union County, Iowa Ancestry Database Collections
- Union County, Iowa Military Records