Franklin County, Iowa Genealogy Guide
|Other IA Resources|
|IA Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
IA Ancestor Records
IA Military Databases
IA Data Collections
IA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Franklin County, Iowa (Map It) was created on January 15, 1851 (Organized in August 5, 1855) from Unorganized Territory. Franklin County was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the Founding Father, printer, scientist, and statesman Learn More About State of Iowa History
Franklin County Cities and Towns include Ackley, Alexander, Coulter, Dows, Geneva, Hampton, Hansell, Latimer, Popejoy, Sheffield.
A Franklin County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Franklin County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Franklin County, IA Courthouse
The Franklin County Courthouse is located in Hampton, Iowa. Franklin County was attached to Fayette County, Chickasaw County & Hardin County for a breif time prior to organization March 3, 1856. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Iowa Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Franklin county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Franklin County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1855 and has Land Records from 1855. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Franklin County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1855and has Court Records from 1856. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Franklin County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Franklin County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Franklin County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.