Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy Guide
|Other IA Resources|
| IA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IA Ancestor Records
IA Military Databases
IA Data Collections
IA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa (Map It) was created on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1855) from Unorganized Territory. Cerro Gordo County was named for the Battle of Cerro Gordo in the Mexican-American War Learn More About State of Iowa History
Cerro Gordo County Cities and Towns include Clear Lake, Dougherty, Mason City, Meservey, Nora Springs, Plymouth, Rock Falls, Rockwell, Swaledale, Thornton, Ventura.
Cerro Gordo County Townships include Bath, City of Clear Lake, Clear Lake, Dougherty, Falls, Geneseo, Grant, Grimes, Lake, Lime Creek, Lincoln, Mason, Mason City, Mount Vernon, Owen, Pleasant Valley, Portland, Union.
A Cerro Gordo County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Cerro Gordo County, IA Courthouse
The Cerro Gordo County Courthouse is located in Mason City, Iowa. Cerro Gordo County was attached to Floyd County for a breif time prior to organization December 29, 1855. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Iowa Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cerro Gordo county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Cerro Gordo County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1855 and has Land Records from 1855. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Cerro Gordo County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1857and has Court Records from 1880?. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Cerro Gordo County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- North Central Iowa Genealogy Society
- Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Message Boards
- Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy Forum
- Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Mailing lists