Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Vermillion County, Indiana (Map It) was created on January 2, 1824 from Parke County, Unorganized Land and Wabash New Purchase. Vermillion County was named for the Vermillion River. Learn More About State of Indiana History
Vermillion County is bordered by Warren County (north), Fountain County (northeast), Parke County (east), Vigo County (south), Edgar County, Illinois (southwest), Vermilion County, Illinois (northwest).
Vermillion County Cities and Towns include Cayuga, Clinton, Fairview Park , Dana, Newport, Perrysville, Universal.
Vermillion County Townships include Clinton, Helt, Highland, Vermillion, Eugene. See Map of Vermillion County Townships.
Vermillion County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Vermillion County, IN Courthouse
The Vermillion County Courthouse is located in Newport, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Jan. 1844, and on January 5, 1866. At neither time were the records lost. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Vermillion county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Vermillion County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1824, Probate Records from ? and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Vermillion County Recorder has Land Records from ?. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Vermillion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Vermillion County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Vermillion County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Vermillion County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Vermillion County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Vermillion County Historian, Eliza Porter, 3218 N. State Road 63, Cayuga, IN 47928-8155; Home Phone: (765) 492-9187
- Vermillion County Historical Society, 220 E Market St , P.O. Box 273, Newport, IN 47966-0273
- Vermillion County, Indiana Message Boards
- Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Vermillion County, Indiana Mailing lists