Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Putnam County, Indiana (Map It) was created on April 1, 1822 from Owen County and Vigo County and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Israel Putnam, hero of the American Revolutionary War. Learn More About State of Indiana History
Putnam County Cities and Towns include Bainbridge, Cloverdale, Fillmore, Greencastle, Roachdale, Russellville.
Putnam County Townships include Clinton, Cloverdale, Floyd, Franklin, Greencastle, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Russell, Warren, Washington. See Map of Putnam County Townships.
Putnam County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Putnam County, IN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Putnam county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Putnam County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1820, Probate Records from 1825 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Putnam County Recorder has Land Records from 1824. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Putnam County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Putnam County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Putnam County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Putnam County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Putnam County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Putnam County Historian, Larry Tippin, 10968 N. 650 E., Roachdale, IN 46172-9394; Home Phone: (765) 522-4156
- Putnam County Genealogical Club, RR 1, Box 28, Bainbridge 46105
- Putnam County Historical Society, P.O. Box 801, Greencastle, IN 46135-0801
- Putnam Public Library
- Putnam County Museum
- Putnam County, Indiana Message Boards
- Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Putnam County, Indiana Mailing lists