Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Morgan County, Indiana (Map It) was created on February 15, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Daniel Morgan, hero of the American Revolutionary War. Learn More About State of Indiana History
Morgan County is bordered by Hendricks County (north), Marion County (northeast), Johnson County (east), Brown County (southeast), Monroe County (south), Owen County (southwest), Putnam County (northwest).
Morgan County Cities and Towns include Bethany, Brooklyn, Martinsville, Monrovia, Mooresville, Morgantown, Paragon.
Morgan County Townships include Adams, Ashland, Baker, Brown, Clay, Green, Gregg, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Ray, Washington. See Map of Morgan County Townships.
Morgan County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Morgan County, IN Courthouse
The Morgan County Courthouse is located in Martinsville, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1876, Some records destroyed. Saved: marriage and deed records from 1822, probate order books 1822-1836. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Morgan county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Morgan County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1822, Probate Records from 1822 and Court Records from 1822. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Morgan County Recorder has Land Records from 1822. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Morgan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Morgan County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Morgan County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Morgan County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Morgan County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Morgan County Historian, Joanne R. Stuttgen, 759 E. Washington St., Martinsville, IN 46151-1646; Home Phone: (765) 349-1537
- Morgan County History and Genealogy Association
- Morgan County Historic Preservation Society
- Morgan County, Indiana Message Boards
- Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Morgan County, Indiana Mailing lists