LaPorte County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IN Resources|
|IN Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
IN Ancestor Records
IN Military Databases
IN Data Collections
IN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
LaPorte County, Indiana (Map It) was created on January 9,1832 from St. Joseph County and Unorganized Land This county was name means the port in French, which refers to the county's harbors on Lake Michigan. Learn More About State of Indiana History
LaPorte County Cities and Towns include La Porte, Michigan City, Kingsbury, Kingsford Heights, LaCrosse, Long Beach, Michiana Shores, Pottawattamie Park, Trail Creek, Wanatah, Westville.
LaPorte County Townships include Cass, Center, Clinton, Coolspring, Dewey, Galena, Hanna, Hudson, Johnson, Kankakee, Lincoln, Michigan, New Durham, Noble, Pleasant, Prairie, Scipio, Springfield, Union, Washington, Wills. See Map of LaPorte County Townships.
LaPorte County, Indiana Courthouse Records
LaPorte County, IN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in LaPorte county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- LaPorte County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1832, Probate Records from 1832 and Court Records from 1832. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- LaPorte County Recorder has Land Records from 1831. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- LaPorte County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- LaPorte County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
LaPorte County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
LaPorte County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
LaPorte County, Indiana Resources
LaPorte County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- LaPorte County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for LaPorte County
- LaPorte County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- LaPort Co., Cemeteries
- LaPorte Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch