Jackson County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jackson County, Indiana (Map It) was created on January 1, 1816 from Clark County, Jefferson County and Washington County. This county was named for U.S. President Andrew Jackson. Learn More About State of Indiana History
Jackson County is bordered by Brown County (north), Bartholomew County (north), Jennings County (east), Scott County (southeast), Washington County (south), Lawrence County (west), Monroe County (northwest).
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Brownstown, Crothersville, Medora, Seymour, Uniontown, Vallonia.
Jackson County Townships include Brownstown, Carr, Driftwood, Grassy Fork, Hamilton, Jackson, Owen, Pershing, Redding, Salt Creek, Vernon, Washington. See Map of Jackson County Townships.
Jackson County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Jackson County, IN Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Brownstown, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1872? and 1881?, No records lost. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jackson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1816, Probate Records from 1817 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Jackson County Recorder has Land Records from 1815. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Jackson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Jackson County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Jackson County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Jackson County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Jackson County Historian, Charlotte A. Sellers , 439 E. 100 S. , Brownstown, IN 47220-9587; Home Phone: (812) 358-5649
- Jackson County History Center
- History Library and Museum, 207 E. Walnut St., Phone: (812) 358-1745
- Genealogical Library, 415 ½ S. Poplar St. , Brownstown IN 47220-1939; Phone: (812) 358-2118
- Jackson County, Indiana Message Boards
- Jackson County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Jackson County, Indiana Mailing lists