Montgomery County, Illinois Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Montgomery County, Illinois (Map It) was created on February 21, 1821 from Bond County and Madison County. Montgomery County was named for Gen. Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), brigadier-general in the Continental Army who led the unsuccessful invasion of Canada. Learn More About State of Illinois History
Montgomery County is bordered by Sangamon County (north), Shelby County (northeast), Christian County (northeast), Fayette County (southeast), Bond County (south), Madison County (southwest), Macoupin County (west)
Montgomery County Cities, Towns & Villages include Butler, Coalton, Coffeen, Donnellson, Farmersville, Fillmore, Harvel, Hillsboro, Irving, Litchfield, Nokomis, Ohlman, Panama, Raymond, Schram City, Taylor Springs, Waggoner, Walshville, Wenonah, Witt.
Montgomery County Townships include Hillsboro, Harvel, Irving, Fillmore, East Fork, Grisham, Bois D’Arc, Audubon, Butler Grove, Raymond, Pitman, North Litchfield, Nokomis, South Litchfield, South Fillmore, Rountree, Walshville, Witt, Zanesville. View the Montgomery Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Montgomery County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Montgomery County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Montgomery County, IL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Montgomery county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Montgomery County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1821, Birth & Death Records from 1862 / 1877 and Land Records from 1819. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Montgomery County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from 1821. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Montgomery County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Montgomery County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Montgomery County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Montgomery County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Montgomery County Historical Society
- Montgomery County Genealogical Society
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Montgomery County, Illinois Message Boards
- Montgomery County, Illinois Genealogy Forum
- Montgomery County, Illinois Mailing lists
Montgomery County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Montgomery County and its civil and congressional townships
- Montgomery County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Montgomery County Illinois Births 1862 - 1877
- Montgomery County Illinois Death Records 1877 - 1950
- Montgomery County Illinois Marriage Records 1821 - 1915
- Montgomery County Illinois Land Records
- Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Burial Records Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Burial Database. A searchable database of people buried in Montgomery County Illinois.
- Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Locations Montgomery County Illinois cemetery locations and burial records. Data compiled by the Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois
- Montgomery Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Montgomery County Illinois Historical Photo Archive
- Fact Sheet for Montgomery County - Illinois State Archives
- Montgomery County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Montgomery Co. ILGenweb
- Montgomery County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Montgomery County Illinois Veterans A database of Veteran's names from Montgomery County Illinois. Including World War One, World War Two and the Vietnam War.
- Montgomery County, Illinois Military Records