Custer County, Idaho Genealogy Guide
|Other ID Resources|
| ID Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
ID Ancestor Records
ID Military Databases
ID Data Collections
ID Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Custer County, Idaho (Map It) was created on January 8, 1881 from Alturas and Lemhi County. Custer County was named in honor of General Custer mine, named after George Armstrong Custer (1839-1876), United States Army general. Learn More About State of Idaho History
Custer County Cities and Towns include Challis, Clayton, Lost River, Mackay, Stanley.
Custer County, Idaho Courthouse Records
Custer County, ID Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Custer county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Custer County Clerk, Auditor, Recorders Office has Marriage Records from 1879, Land Records from 1872, Probate Records from 1879 and Court Records from 1879. The Recorder is responsible to keep records of all documents recorded in Adams County. Additionally, the Recorder’s office provides marriage licenses, processes passports and records land documents, including plat maps, surveys, easements, assertions of right-of-way, and some types of liens.
Custer County, Idaho Census Records
- Learn More: State of Idaho Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Custer County, Idaho Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Idaho Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1911 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from May 1947 to present.
- Locations: Idaho Office of Vital Statistics, 450 W. State St., 1st Floor, Boise, ID 83720; (208) 334-5988
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates Applications.
Custer County, Idaho Resources
- South Custer County Historical Society, P.O. Box 355, Mackay ID 83251
- Stanley Heritage Association, Highway 75, Stanley ID 83278
- Custer County, Idaho Message Boards
- Custer County, Idaho Genealogy Forum
- Custer County, Idaho Mailing lists