Muscogee County, Georgia Genealogy Guide
|Other GA Resources|
| GA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
GA Ancestor Records
GA Military Databases
GA Data Collections
GA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Muscogee County, Georgia (Map It) was created on June 9, 1825 from Creek Cession of 1826. Muscogee County was named in honor of Muskogee ethnic group, to which the Creek and Seminole Nations belong. Learn More About State of Georgia History.
A Map of Muscogee County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Muscogee County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Muscogee County, GA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Muscogee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Muscogee County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1838 and Court Records from 1838. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Muscogee County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1838.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Muscogee County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Muscogee County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Muscogee County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Muscogee County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Muscogee County, Georgia Resources
- Muscogee County Genealogical Society
- Brookstone School Young Historians, 440 Bradley Park Dr; Columbus, GA 31904-2901; Nan R. Pate; (706) 324-1392.
- The Columbus Museum
- Kendrick High School Young Historians, 6015 Georgetown Drive ; Columbus , GA 31907-4611
- Historic Columbus Foundation
- Historic Linwood Foundation
- Port Columbus National Civil War Naval Museum
- Muscogee County, Georgia Message Boards
- Muscogee County, Georgia Genealogy Forum
- Muscogee County, Georgia Mailing lists