Lumpkin County, Georgia Genealogy Guide
|Other GA Resources|
| GA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
GA Ancestor Records
GA Military Databases
GA Data Collections
GA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lumpkin County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 3, 1832 from Cherokee County, Habersham County, and Hall County. Lumpkin County was named in honor of Wilson Lumpkin (1783 - 1870), the Governor of Georgia and a U.S. Senator. Learn More About State of Georgia History.
A Map of Lumpkin County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lumpkin County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Lumpkin County, GA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lumpkin county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Lumpkin County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1833 and Court Records from 1833. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Lumpkin County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1833 and Probate Records from 1833.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Lumpkin County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Lumpkin County Tax Commissioner
- The Lumpkin County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Lumpkin County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lumpkin County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lumpkin County, Georgia Resources
- Lumpkin County Historical Society, Inc.
- Lumpkin County, Georgia Message Boards
- Lumpkin County, Georgia Genealogy Forum
- Lumpkin County, Georgia Mailing lists
Lumpkin County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Lumpkin County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Lumpkin Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wade, Odell and Bell families of Auraria, Ga. during the gold rush through 1870 period.
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Lumpkin County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List