Taylor County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Taylor County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 23, 1856 from Madison County. Taylor County was named for Zachary Taylor (1784–1850), 12th President of the United States. Learn More About State of Florida History
Taylor County Cities and Towns include Perry.
A Map of Taylor County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Taylor Co. Historical Events:
- Taylor County was named for the twelfth president of the United States, who had commanded troops in this region during the Seminole wars.
- Early Spanish missions were located within the county.
- April 12, 1818, a battle was fought between forces of General Andrew Jackson and Seminole Indians at Natural Bridge on Econfina.
- In March, 1864, Major Chas. H. Camfield was sent with a Confederate force into Taylor County to capture deserters who had assembled from a number of places to find hideouts in the swamps.
- Considerable supplies were captured and a number of deserters' houses burned.
Taylor County, Florida Courthouse Records
Taylor County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Taylor county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Taylor County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1857, Land Records from 1857, Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1857. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Taylor County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Taylor County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Taylor County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Taylor County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Taylor County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Taylor County Historical Society
- Taylor County, Florida Message Boards
- Taylor County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Taylor County, Florida Mailing lists