Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Manatee County, Florida (Map It) was created on January 9, 1855 from Hillsborough County. Manatee County was named for the Manatee, or sea cow, is native to Floridian waters. Learn More About State of Florida History
Manatee County Cities and Towns include Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach, Longboat Key, Palmetto.
A Map of Manatee County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Manatee Co. Historical Events:
- Gamble Mansion, near Bradenton, was the place of refuge of Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of State of Confederacy, while eluding Federal troops after the collapse of the Confederacy.
- Baden Castle is also a point of great interest to visitors.
Manatee County, Florida Courthouse Records
Manatee County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Manatee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Manatee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1856, Land Records from 1843, Probate Records from 1857 and Court Records from 1858. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Manatee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Manatee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Manatee County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Manatee County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Manatee County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Manatee County Historical Society, 604 15th St., Bradenton, FL 34208
- Manatee County Historical Records Library
- Manasota Genealogical Society
- Myakka City Historical Society
- Eaton Florida History Room, Manatee County Central Library
- The Family Heritage House Museum
- Anna Maria Island Historical Society
- Manatee County, Florida Message Boards
- Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Manatee County, Florida Mailing lists