Lafayette County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lafayette County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 23, 1856 from Madison County. Lafayette County was named for Marquis de Lafayette (1757–1834), French aristocrat and general in the American Revolutionary War. Learn More About State of Florida History
Lafayette County Cities and Towns include Mayo.
A Map of Lafayette County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lafayette Co. Historical Events:
- DeSoto's party, in 1539, encountered fierce opposition from the Indians occupying this region.
- There was considerable fighting.during the Seminole War and Forts McComb, Barker and Downing were erected to control the savages.
- Florida's largest unworked phosphate beds are in Lafayette County.
- J. N. Kreminger, former Speaker of the Florida House, murdered at New Troy, October 5, 1871.
Lafayette County, Florida Courthouse Records
Lafayette County, FL Courthouse
Old Lafayette County Courthouse
The Lafayette County Courthouse is located in Mayo, Florida. Courthouse caught fire on New Year’s Eve, 1892, apparently the result of a drunken prank. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lafayette county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lafayette County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1857, Land Records from 1873, Probate Records from 1838 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Lafayette County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Lafayette County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Lafayette County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lafayette County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lafayette County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Lafayette County Historical Society
- Lafayette County, Florida Message Boards
- Lafayette County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Lafayette County, Florida Mailing lists