Jefferson County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jefferson County, Florida (Map It) was created on January 6, 1827 from Leon County. Jefferson County was named for Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), the third President of the United States and principal author of the Declaration of Independence. Learn More About State of Florida History
Jefferson County Cities and Towns include Monticello.
A Map of Jefferson County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jefferson Co. Historical Events:
- Had been the scene of bitter war between the Spanish and English and their Indian allies.
- Battle of Ayavalla, a few miles southwest of the present Monticello, Jan. 25,, 1704.
- Achille Murat, nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte died near Wacissa, April 15, 1847.
Jefferson County, Florida Courthouse Records
Jefferson County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jefferson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1827, Land Records from 1827, Probate Records from 1900 and Court Records from 1900. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Jefferson County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Jefferson County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Jefferson County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jefferson County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Jefferson County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Jefferson County Historical Association
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 695 East Washington Street, Monticello 32344-2546
- Keystone Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 50, Monticello, FL 32344; 904-997-3304
- Jefferson County, Florida Message Boards
- Jefferson County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Jefferson County, Florida Mailing lists