Hernando County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
|FL Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hernando County, Florida (Map It) was created on February 24, 1843 from Alachua County. Hernando County was named for Hernando de Soto (c.1496/1497–1542), a Spanish explorer and conquistador. Learn More About State of Florida History
Hernando County Cities and Towns include Brooksville, Weeki Wachee.
A Map of Hernando County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hernando Co. Historical Events:
- This county suffered little from any of Florida's wars.
- It contains the famous Chinsegut Hill wild life refuge and forest experimentation area.
- Hernando News, newspaper, was founded in 1876. Brooksville incorporated October 7, 1880.
Hernando County, Florida Courthouse Records
Hernando County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hernando county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hernando County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1900, Land Records from 1878, Probate Records from 1900 and Court Records from 1877. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Hernando County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Hernando County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Hernando County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hernando County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hernando County, Florida Resources
Hernando County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Hernando County, Florida Books - Amazon
- 1843 Voter List
- 1865 Voter List
- Hernando Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Some Early Residents of Hernando County
- A Hernando County Timeline to 1887
- Hernando County Courthouse History
- Hernando County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List