Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hamilton County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 26, 1827 from Jefferson County. Hamilton County was named for Alexander Hamilton (1757–1804), the first United States Secretary of the Treasury and a Founding Father. Learn More About State of Florida History
Hamilton County Cities and Towns include Jasper, Jennings, White Springs.
A Map of Hamilton County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamilton Co. Historical Events:
- The country was thickly settled by Indians when white men first came in but there was little fighting here during the Seminole War or the Civil War.
- The Stephen Foster Memorial is located on the banks of the Suwannee River in this county.
- Jasper founded 1830.
- The Times, the county's first newspaper, founded in 1879.
Hamilton County, Florida Courthouse Records
Hamilton County, FL Courthouse
The Hamilton County Courthouse is located in Jasper, Florida. Courthouse may have been destroyed by a tornado prior to 1836. Courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1929 and rebuilt in 1932. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamilton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hamilton County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1824, Land Records from 1836, Probate Records from 1830 and Court Records from 1881. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Hamilton County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Hamilton County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Hamilton County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hamilton County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hamilton County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Hamilton County Historical Society and Museum, Inc.
- Hamilton County, Florida Message Boards
- Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Hamilton County, Florida Mailing lists