Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Gilchrist County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 4, 1925 from Alachua County. Gilchrist County was named for Albert W. Gilchrist (1858–1926), the 20th Governor of Florida. Learn More About State of Florida History
Gilchrist County is bordered by Columbia County (northeast), Alachua County (east), Levy County (south), Dixie County (southwest), Dixie County (west), Suwannee County (northwest), Lafayette County (northwest).
Gilchrist County Cities and Towns include Fanning Springs, Trenton, Bell.
A Map of Gilchrist County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Gilchrist Co. Historical Events:
- William Bartram, traveler, botanist, visited region in 1774, stopping at the Seminole town of Tallahasochte on Suwannee River.
- Trenton founded in 1875.
Gilchrist County, Florida Courthouse Records
Gilchrist County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gilchrist county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Gilchrist County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1926, Land Records from 1926, Probate Records from 1926 and Court Records from 1926. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Gilchrist County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Gilchrist County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Gilchrist County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Gilchrist County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Gilchrist County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Gilchrist County Genealogical Society, 105 Ne 11th Avenue, Trenton 32693
- Gilchrist County, Florida Message Boards
- Gilchrist County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Gilchrist County, Florida Mailing lists