Escambia County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Escambia County, Florida (Map It) was created on July 21, 1821 as an original county. Escambia County was named for possibly from the Native American word Shambia, meaning "clear water". Learn More About State of Florida History
Escambia County Cities and Towns include Pensacola, Century.
A Map of Escambia County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Escambia Co. Historical Events:
- Had been the site of the earliest Spanish settlement in Florida-1559. This colony failed and was abandoned until 1695.
- Diego Miruelo discovered Pensacola Bay in 1516. Pensacola founded by a body of Spaniards under Don Andres de Arriola in 1698.
- It was ruled by Spain, France, England and the United States during the eighteenth century and the early years of the nineteenth until it finally passed to our own government, General Andrew Jackson being the first territorial Governor of Florida.
- Pensacola was captured by Union forces early in the Civil War and was held by them until its end.
- Interesting old forts, dating back to early Spanish and Civil War days, still exist.
Escambia County, Florida Courthouse Records
Escambia County, FL Courthouse
Old Escambia County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Escambia county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Escambia County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1821, Land Records from 1821, Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from 1821. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Escambia County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Escambia County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Escambia County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Escambia County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Escambia County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Escambia County Historical Society, 223 South Palafox Place, Pensacola 32501-5845
- Pensacola Historical Society
- Pensacola Historical Preservation Society, P. O. Box 12404, Pensacola, FL 32582; 850-434-3050
- The Archaeology Institute, University of West Florida
- West Florida Archives and Special Collections
- West Florida Genealogical Society
- Escambia County, Florida Message Boards
- Escambia County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Escambia County, Florida Mailing lists