Clay County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Clay County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 31, 1858 from Duval County. Clay County was named for Henry Clay (1777–1852), Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829 under John Quincy Adams. Learn More About State of Florida History
Clay County Cities and Towns include Green Cove Springs, Keystone Heights Orange Park, Penney Farms.
A Map of Clay County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Clay Co. Historical Events:
- It shared the early history of these counties, and during the reconstruction era, suffered considerable hardships.
- Green Cove Springs is located at the county seat.
- Fleming's Island settled in 1790.
Clay County, Florida Courthouse Records
Clay County, FL Courthouse
Old Clay County Courthouse
The Clay County Courthouse is located in Green Cove Springs, Florida. Court was held in McRae House which burned in 1872 and with it most of the county's judicial records. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Clay county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1872, Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1859 and Court Records from 1859. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Clay County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Clay County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Clay County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Clay County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Clay County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Clay County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1071, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
- Clay County Historical Society
- Clay County, Florida Message Boards
- Clay County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Clay County, Florida Mailing lists