Calhoun County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Calhoun County, Florida (Map It) was created on January 26, 1838 from Franklin County, Jackson County and Washington County. Calhoun County was named for John C. Calhoun (1782–1850) leading Southern politician from South Carolina. Learn More About State of Florida History
Calhoun County Cities and Towns include Blountstown, Altha.
A Map of Calhoun County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Calhoun Co. Historical Events:
- This county had the first steam railroad in Florida.
- It originally included what is now Gulf County, consequently it included the great boom town of the eighteen-thirties-St. Joseph. It contains the famous "Dead Lakes."
- In 1838 Indians were removed from reservations on the Apalachicola River.
- The name Blountstown honors one of the chiefs, John Blount, who possessed a reservation on the river.
Calhoun County, Florida Courthouse Records
Calhoun County, FL Courthouse
Old Calhoun County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Calhoun county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Calhoun County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1862, Land Records from 1862, Probate Records from 1877 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Calhoun County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Calhoun County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Calhoun County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Calhoun County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Calhoun County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Calhoun County, Florida Message Boards
- Calhoun County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Calhoun County, Florida Mailing lists