Broward County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Broward County, Florida (Map It) was created on April 30, 1915 from Dade County and Palm Beach County. Broward County was named for Napoleon Bonaparte Broward (1857–1910), 19th Governor of Florida from 1905 to 1909. Learn More About State of Florida History
Broward County Cities and Towns include Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Dania Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Miramar, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, West Park, Weston, Wilton Manors Davie, Hillsboro Beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Pembroke Park, Southwest Ranches. Villages Include Lazy Lake, Sea Ranch Lakes..
A Map of Broward County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Broward Co. Historical Events:
- The site of county seat was originally a fort used in the Seminole War.
- January, 1836, the Colee massacre occurred within the present limits of Ft. Lauderdale.
Broward County, Florida Courthouse Records
Broward County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Broward county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Broward County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1915, Land Records from 1915, Probate Records from 1917 and Court Records from 1915. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Broward County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Broward County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Broward County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Broward County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Broward County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Broward County Historical Commission
- Broward County, Inc, Genealogical Society of
- Oakland Park Historical Society
- Old Fort Lauderdale Village & Museum, Fort Lauderdale Historical Society
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Broward County
- Broward County, Florida Message Boards
- Broward County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Broward County, Florida Mailing lists