Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Brevard County, Florida (Map It) was created on January 6, 1844 from Mosquito County. Brevard County was named for Theodore Washington Brevard, early settler and later state comptroller from 1853 to 1861. Learn More About State of Florida History
Brevard County Cities and Towns include Cape Canaveral, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Melbourne, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Satellite Beach, Titusville, West Melbourne Grant-Valkaria, Indialantic, Malabar, Melbourne Beach, Melbourne Village, Palm Shores.
A Map of Brevard County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Brevard Co. Historical Events:
- It was the scene of early Spanish and French exploration and temporary colonization. One of the early Spanish Missions was established there.
- Blockade runners used its harbors and inlets during the Civil War.
- Ponce de Leon and his men first sighted Florida March 27, 1513, the point observed being Cape Canaveral.
- Some 200 French Huguenots surrendered to Menendez in this area, November, 1565.
Brevard County, Florida Courthouse Records
Brevard County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brevard county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Brevard County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1868, Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1877 and Court Records from 1879. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Brevard County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Brevard County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Brevard County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Brevard County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Brevard County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- North Brevard Historical Society
- Genealogical Society of North Brevard, Inc.
- Genealogical Society of South Brevard
- South Brevard Historical Society
- Brevard Genealogical Society
- Brevard Heritage Council
- Brevard County, Florida Message Boards
- Brevard County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Brevard County, Florida Mailing lists