Bradford County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Bradford County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 21, 1858 from Columbia County. Bradford County was named for Richard Bradford, the first officer from Florida to die in the Civil War; he was killed during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island. Learn More About State of Florida History
Bradford County Cities and Towns include Hampton, Lawtey, Starke Brooker.
A Map of Bradford County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Bradford Co. Historical Events:
- Naturally Bradford County shared the early struggles of the district and suffered minor damage during the Civil War.
- Bradford Telegraph, one of Florida's oldest weekly newspapers, founded in 1879.
Bradford County, Florida Courthouse Records
Bradford County, FL Courthouse
Old Bradford County Courthouse
The Bradford County Courthouse is located in Starke, Florida. The original Lake Butler courthouse was burned in 1865, reportedly to destroy a murder indictment along with all other county records. A second courthouse burned in 1875. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bradford county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Bradford County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1875, Land Records from 1875, Probate Records from 1868 and Court Records from 1875. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Bradford County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Bradford County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Bradford County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bradford County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Bradford County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Bradford County Historical Board, P. O. Drawer A, Starke, FL 32091
- Bradford County, Florida Message Boards
- Bradford County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Bradford County, Florida Mailing lists