Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Guide
|Other DE Resources|
| DE Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
DE Ancestor Records
DE Military Databases
DE Data Collections
DE Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Sussex County, Delaware (Map It) was created on August 8, 1683 as an Original County. Sussex County was originally named Whorekill or Hoarkill District, it was renamed to Deale or New Deal County in 1681 and renamed to Sussex County in 1682). Learn More About State of Delaware History
Sussex County is bordered by Kent County, Delware (north), Cape May County, New Jersey (northeast), Worcester County, Maryland (south), Dorchester County, Maryland (southwest), Wicomico County, Maryland (southwest), Caroline County, Maryland (northwest)
Sussex County Cities and Towns include Lewes, Milford, Rehoboth Beach, Seaford, Bethany Beach, Bethel, Blades, Bridgeville, Dagsboro, Delmar, Dewey Beach, Ellendale, Fenwick Island, Frankford, Georgetown, Greenwood, Henlopen Acres, Laurel, Millsboro, Millville, Milton, Ocean View, Selbyville, Slaughter Beach, South Bethany. A Map of Sussex County, Delaware contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Sussex County Hundreds include Baltimore, Broad Creek, Broadkill, Cedar Creek, Dagsboro, Georgetown, Gumboro, Indian River, Lewes & Rehoboth, Little Creek, Nanticoke, Northwest Fork, Seaford.
Sussex County, Delaware Courthouse Records
Sussex County, DE Courthouse
The Sussex County Courthouse is located in Georgetown, Delaware. Records of land conveyance are found in the county recorder of deeds' offices. Estates are in the office of the register of wills where files are maintained from 1925. The prothonotary is the clerk with custody of such records as divorces (to 1975), and civil and criminal court matters. Learn Learn More About State of Delaware Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Sussex County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. Most earlier records and many into the twentieth century have been transferred to the Delaware State Archives, although some counties have microfilms of transferred material.
- Sussex County Clerk of the Peace has Marriage Records from March 2002. Only the most recent marriages are in the office, however. Marriages from 1974 through 2002, you should contact the Office of Vital Statistics. Older records have been transferred to the Delaware State Archives.
- Sussex County Register of Wills has Probate Records from 1728.
- Sussex County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1693. Only the most recent deeds are in the office, however. Most have been transferred to the Delaware State Archives.
Sussex County, Delaware Census Records
- Learn More: State of Delaware Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (fragmented), 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sussex County, Delaware Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Delaware Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1942 - present; State Archives from 1861–63 and 1881–1930
- Marriage Records: from 1974; State Archives from 1847–1962
- Death Records: from 1974 - present; State Archives from 1861–63 and 1881–1962
- Divorce Records: from 1935
- Locations: Delaware Office of Vital Statistics, Delaware State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Certified copies of certificates are at any of three locations around the state. Most certificates can be issued while you wait.
Sussex County, Delaware Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Delaware
- Lewes Historical Society
- Milford Historical Society
- Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Forum
Sussex County, Delaware External Links
- Sussex County, Delaware Ancestry Data Collections
- Sussex County, Delaware Military Records
- Historical Newspapers from Delaware (1785–1900)
- The Union (Georgetown, Delaware) Newspaper
- Sussex County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800
- Some records of Sussex County, Delaware
- Extracts from the journal of St. Peter's Church, Lewes, Delaware, 1797-1845
- History of Sussex County, Delaware
- History of Lewes, Delaware