Kent County, Delaware Genealogy Guide
|Other DE Resources|
| DE Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
DE Ancestor Records
DE Military Databases
DE Data Collections
DE Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Kent County, Delaware (Map It) was created on June 21, 1680 from Whorekill (Hoarkill) County and New Castle County. Kent County was originally named St. Jones County but renamed in 1682. Learn More About State of Delaware History
Kent County is bordered by New Castle County, Delaware (north), Salem County, New Jersey (northeast), Cumberland County, New Jersey (east), Cape May County, New Jersey (east), Sussex County, Delaware (south), Caroline County, Maryland (southwest), Queen Anne’s County, Maryland (west), Kent County, Maryland (west).
Kent County Cities and Towns include Dover, Harrington, Milford, Bowers, Camden, Cheswold, Clayton, Farmington, Felton, Frederica, Hartly, Houston, Kenton, Leipsic, Little Creek, Magnolia, Smyrna, Viola, Woodside, Wyoming. A Map of Kent County, Delaware contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Kent County Hundreds include Duck Creek, East Dover, Kenton, Little Creek, Milford, Mispillion, North Murderkill, South Murderkill, West Dover.
Kent County, Delaware Courthouse Records
Kent County, DE Courthouse
The Kent County Courthouse is located in Dover, Delaware. Records of land conveyance are found in the county recorder of deeds' offices. Estates are in the office of the register of wills where files are maintained from 1925. The prothonotary is the clerk with custody of such records as divorces (to 1975), and civil and criminal court matters. Learn More About State of Delaware Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Kent County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. Most earlier records and many into the twentieth century have been transferred to the Delaware State Archives, although some counties have microfilms of transferred material.
- Kent County Clerk of the Peace has Marriage Records from 1829-1898.
- Kent County Register of Wills has Probate Records from 1766.
- Kent County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1680. Only the most recent deeds are in the office, however. Most have been transferred to the archives.
Kent County, Delaware Census Records
- Learn More: State of Delaware Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (fragmented), 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kent County, Delaware Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Delaware Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1942 - present; State Archives from 1861–63 and 1881–1930
- Marriage Records: from 1974; State Archives from 1847–1962
- Death Records: from 1974 - present; State Archives from 1861–63 and 1881–1962
- Divorce Records: from 1935
- Locations: Delaware Office of Vital Statistics, Delaware State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Certified copies of certificates are at any of three locations around the state. Most certificates can be issued while you wait.
Kent County, Delaware Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Delaware
- Downstate Delaware Genealogical Society
- Greater Harrington Historical Society
- Kent County, Delaware Genealogy Forum
Kent County, Delaware External Links
- Kent County, Delaware Ancestry Database Collections
- Kent County, Delaware Military Records
- Historical Newspapers from Delaware (1785–1900)
- Calendar of Kent County, Delaware probate records, 1680-1800 database is a calendar of probate records from Kent County, Delaware between 1680 and 1800.