Costilla County, Colorado Genealogy Guide
|Other CO Resources|
| CO Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CO Ancestor Records
CO Military Databases
CO Data Collections
CO Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Costilla County, Colorado (Map It) was created on November 1, 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. Costilla County was named after the Costilla River. Costilla is a Spanish word meaning either little rib or furring timber.. Learn More About State of Colorado History
Costilla County Cities and Towns include Blanca, Fort Garland, San Luis and Chama.
A Map of Costilla County, Colorado contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Costilla County, Colorado Courthouse Records
Costilla County, CO Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Costilla county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Costilla County Clerk & Recorder has Marriage Records from 1863 and has Land Records from 1861. The County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Costilla County Clerk of Courts has Probate Records from 1876 and has Court Records from 1876.
- Costilla County Public Health Agency has Birth / Death Records from 1902–07 ; Alamosa County, Lorton, and Miracle Mortuary.
Costilla County, Colorado Census Records
- Learn More: State of Colorado Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Costilla County, Colorado Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Colorado Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1910 to present.
- Marriage Records: None, but are available from the County Clerk of District Court.
- Death Records: from 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None, but are available from the County Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Vital Records Section, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, HSVRD-VS-A1, Denver, CO 80246-1530; PH (916) (303) 692-2224 General, (303) 756-4464 Information.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
Costilla County, Colorado Resources
- Ft. Garland Heritage Association, 29477 Hwy. 159, Fort Garland, CO 81133; 719-379-3512
- Costilla County, Colorado Message Boards
- costilla County, Colorado Genealogy Forum
- Costilla County, Colorado Mailing lists