Tuolumne County, California Genealogy Guide
|Other CA Resources|
| CA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CA Ancestor Records
CA Military Databases
CA Data Collections
CA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Tuolumne County, California (Map It) was created on February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties . Tuolumne County was name is of Indian origin and has been given different meanings, such as Many Stone Houses, The Land of Mountain Lions and Straight Up Steep, the later an interpretation of William Fuller, a native Indian Chief. In his report to the first state Legislature, Vallejo said that the word is “a corruption of the Indian word talmalamne which signifies “cluster of stone wigwams.” The name may mean “people who dwell in stone houses,” i.e., in caves. Learn More About State of California History
Tuolumne County Cities and Towns include Sonora .
Tuolumne County, California Courthouse Records
Tuolumne County, CA Courthouse
Old Tuolumne County Courthouse
Courthouse History - Sonora legend has it that the perspective of this elegant building was changed to accommodate the wishes of a prominent citizen who lived across the street and wanted his home to face the front and not the side of the new courthouse. The Romanesque building featured several modern conveniences of the turn of the century; one local newspaper reported citizens touring the building "ablaze with electric lights." The courthouse remains in use and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tuolumne county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Tuolumne County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1858, Marriage Records from 1850 and Land Records from 1850. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Tuolumne County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1852 and Court Records from 1852. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Tuolumne County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 2 South Green Street, Sonora, CA 95370; Office (209) 533-5531
Tuolumne County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1852, Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Tuolumne County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Tuolumne County, California Resources
- Tuolumne County Genealogical Society
- Tuolumne County Historical Society
- Southern Tuolumne County Residents Genealogy-Groveland Yosemite Gateway Museum
- Tuolumne County, California Message Boards
- Tuolumne County, California Genealogy Forum
- Tuolumne County, California Mailing lists