Craighead County, Arkansas Genealogy Guide
|Other AR Resources|
| AR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AR Ancestor Records
AR Military Databases
AR Data Collections
AR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Craighead County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on February 19,1859 and was formed from Mississippi County, Greene County and Poinsett County. Craighead County was named in honor of Thomas Craighead (1798–1862), a State Senator who ironically opposed the creation of the county . Learn More About State of Arkansas History
Craighead County Cities and Towns include Bay, Black Oak, Bono, Bowman, Brookland, Caraway, Cash, Childress, Egypt, Herman, Jonesboro, Lake City, Lester, Lunsford, Monette, Otwell.
A Map of Craighead County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Craighead County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Craighead County, AR Courthouse
Craighead County, AR Courthouse
in Lake City
The Craighead County Courthouse is located in Jonesboro, Arkansas and Lake City, Arkansas. All records were destroyed by a fire in 1869 and again in 1878. The records are therefore incomplete. Since 1886, the records have been kept in a fire-proof vault and no records have been injured or lost since March 28, 1878. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Craighead county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Craighead County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1878, Land Records from 1878 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Craighead County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1878 and has Probate Records from 1878. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Craighead County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Craighead County Health Department
Craighead County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Craighead County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Craighead County, Arkansas Resources
- Craighead County Historical Society
- Craighead County, Arkansas Message Boards
- Craighead County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum
- Craighead County, Arkansas Mailing lists