Baxter County, Arkansas Genealogy Guide
|Other AR Resources|
| AR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AR Ancestor Records
AR Military Databases
AR Data Collections
AR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Baxter County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on March 24 1873 and was formed from Fulton County, Izard County, Marion County and Searcy County. Other county boundry changes occured when Line between Izard and Fulton defined 16 October 1875, line with Marion changed 9 March 1881. Baxter County was named in honor of Elisha Baxter (1827–1899), a Governor of Arkansas . Learn More About State of Arkansas History
Baxter County Cities and Towns include Big Flat, Briarcliff, Cotter, Gassville, Lakeview, Mountain Home, Norfork, Salesville.
A Map of Baxter County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Baxter County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Baxter County, AR Courthouse
The Baxter County Courthouse is located in Mountain Home, Arkansas. The courthouse burned 24 Feb. 1890; "court records, five deed records and marriage records except one" were saved; "all records not totally destroyed have been transcribed and rebound." Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Baxter county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Baxter County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1874, Land Records from 1876 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Baxter County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1873 and has Probate Records from 1874. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Baxter County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Baxter County Health Department
Baxter County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Baxter County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Baxter County, Arkansas Resources
- Baxter County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Baxter County, Arkansas Message Boards
- Baxter County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum
- Baxter County, Arkansas Mailing lists